Second strike to disrupt London Underground over Night Tube service scheduled for August
London Underground drivers have voted to take part in another 24-hour strike as disputes over the introduction of the Night Tube continue.
Members of train drivers union Aslef have approved action to take place from 9:30pm on August 5.
Talks will be held with conciliation service Acas today, in a bid to avert further action. Union insiders told City A.M. that they are expecting London Underground to lift their pay offer and pledge a cap on the number of so-called “unsocial hours” that Tube staff could be required to work.
There is no word on whether sister unions RMT or TSSA will be taking part. However RMT is still urging its members to refuse all overtime.
General secretary Mike Cash said: "This ban on any overtime working will demonstrate that London Underground should be properly staffed at all times with directly employed, fully trained and competent staff and will keep the pressure on London Underground to take all the necessary steps to resolve all of these disputes without delay."
If it goes ahead, it would be the second strike in a month, following last week's action, which brought London to a standstill.
Drivers are up in arms over the new Night Tube, which is scheduled to launch in September, as they claim they are being made to work more hours, having been made what the unions called a “divisive and unacceptable” offer from transport bosses.
"While a small minority of staff are being offered a non-consolidated one-off lump sum the remainder of staff are ignored and the key issues of work/life balance and the personal health and safety concerns are side lined," RMT boss Mick Cash said last week.